Friday, October 9, 2009

There's Hope Afterall


Dude! I just recieved the best news I've had all week (besides finding a new series starring Mischa Barton. She is beautiful, I don't care what you say. You know who you are.). Okay well, let me start at the beginning.


If you look at the photograph I posted of the ROAR members marching, you'd know that this week was animal anti-cruelty week at Rhodes University. And with that, they had a photo-expo up at one of our lecture venues, Eden Grove. See, I'm the kind of person who, as an animal lover, refuses to be ignorant to what these people have to say (plus I tend to be a little self-destructive). Naturally I looked at the photographs of horrible things that people do to animals. Among many of the things, I feel most strongly about animal testing. And so the photographs of the terrible experiments they do on animals had the biggest affect on me. Thing is, it kills me to think that one of my animals might ever be abused like that (the picture above is my baby Aliaah). Essentially, the only thing separating your bunny Mr.Sparkles and test subject 30042 is...luck. If you have a pet, or have ever loved an animal, you should care that when you buy certain products, you are supporting companies which torture animals so that they can have bigger profits.


But before you declare the world a dark place and retreat to a badly lit room and an eternity of Dashboard Confessional and Death Cab for Cutie... there is hope. Certain organisations have compiled lists of compassionate companies with cruelty-free products. I recommend the PETA list, mostly cos it doesn't only have tree-hugging and completely unnknown brands. Its the brands you know, the ones you love. So the main reason I am so elated, is because I found out that my favourite cosmetics brand, Clinique, is on Peta's list of compassionate companies. This is definately a victory for women all over the world that care.



Now you have something to be excited about too. Anyway, how was your week?

2 comments:

  1. Aaw, Christi - you make your tutor so proud! Yay for compassionate cosmetic companies! But it's still so sad that the majority of people fail to make that connection between their pets and the billions of animals that have to suffer for the so-called necessity of human convenience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people are just in denial. Its easier not to make the connection.

    ReplyDelete